Monday, January 26, 2009

Book Report


As previously promised, I have read "History of Joseph Smith" by Luck Mack, and will now report. First, I read it in less than 48 hours, which is, incidentally, faster than I have read most Harry Potter books (though it was only 330+ pages). Second, that is amazing, since it was nonfiction. Third, the BOOK was amazing. Fourth, I argue it is difficult to understand Church history until you have read it, or a book similar in character (namely, first person contemporary narrative).
Anyways, by reading the history of the early Church through someone who was actually there, I now have a much deeper appreciation for what Joseph Smith and his family went through, what it meant to start this new dispensation, and how amazing it is that the Church survived. All the stories you hear as a kid were finally put into perspective, and it made them much more meaningful.
The only thing that was disappointing was the lack of detail after about 1832. Otherwise, it was reaaaally cool. Ok, enough said. Remember, don't take my word for it...
(note: the picture is not the edition I read. I read the 1979 edition. They are all slightly different.)

3 comments:

  1. Good work, young dude! I'll have to put that one on the eternally-growing list of must-reads.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always looking for new books. Thanks for the recommendation! (And in reference to your goal for reading, can stupid mystery novels count as meaningful literature? Because otherwise you're totally owning me in the books department.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another book to add to my list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete